New VS Used/Refurbished
- Working and cosmetic condition. New - great working condition and no cosmetic imperfections. Used - great working condition, few signs of use
- Toner. Used - many come with preinstalled toner cartridges (up to $600 (color) value by itself). New - many come with sample toner cartridges (almost empty)
- Price. New desktop printers sell for up to $3000. Pre-owned desktop laser printers are usually priced between $60 for a small personal printer, and $100 -$300 for a multifunction (all-in-one) printer or a color laser printer or any other workgroup printer
- Reliability. In my experience well-maintained used printers are just as reliable as new printers. In my opinion, sometimes it is safer to buy a used printer as you can be sure that there is no manufacturer's defect. I have seen brand new printers with non-functional ADF (dock feeder).
- Warranty. You get more warranty coverage when you buy new. If you buy on eBay you can return new or used items within the seller's stated return time frames.